Jupiter Lighthouse is located at 500 Captain Armours Way in Jupiter, FL 33469. See Mapquest for directions.
The site for the lighthouse was chosen in 1853, but Jupiter Inlet silted shut in 1854 forcing all building supplies to be shipped in light boats down the Indian River. Work was interrupted from 1856 to 1858 by the Third Seminole War and the lighthouse was then completed in 1860 at a cost of more than $60,000.
The lighthouse was built on a natural sand dune and for thousands of years had been a meeting place for ancient Indian tribes. The top of the 105-foot tower is 146 feet above sea level and the light can be seen 25 nautical miles at sea. The lighthouse structure is brick with double masonry walls. The outer wall is tapering from 31.5 inches (eight bricks thick) at ground level to 18 inches (three bricks thick) at base of lantern. The inner wall is cylindrical and two bricks thick throughout. Circumference at base is about 65 feet and at the top about 43 feet.
Employees and visitors of the Jupiter Lighthouse have reported strange noises and unexplained cold spots. Experiences include those being touched by a hand on their shoulder, but when they turn around no one is there. Apparitions have been seen as well by employees in the building housing the museum.